University Grants Commission (UGC) has announced a new framework for undergraduate programs. In view of the NEP recommendations, UGC has revised the CBCS and developed a Curriculum and Credit Framework for undergraduate programs. According to the new FYUP curriculum, candidates have the flexibility to move from one field of study to another and multiple entry and exit options with a UG certificate / UG diploma / or diploma, depending on the number of credits obtained.
The undergraduate curriculum lasts 4 years or 8 semesters. After the third year, students who opt for a three-year RUG program can leave. If a student decides to drop out after the first or second year, he will receive a University of Groningen Certificate or University of Groningen Diploma, depending on the number of credits earned. Students who graduate with a University of Groningen certificate or diploma can return within three years and complete the programme.
Students who want to follow a 3-year RUG program will receive the RUG diploma in the Major discipline after successful completion of three years. Candidates who complete a four-year degree will be awarded a four-year UG Honors degree in the major discipline.
In the fourth year, students who have scored 75% or more in the first six semesters and want to do undergraduate research can choose a research stream. They must work on a research project or dissertation with the help of a university or college faculty member. The research project/dissertation will be in the major discipline.
Students will have the flexibility to move from one institution to another, allowing for multi- and/or interdisciplinary learning. They can even switch to alternative learning modes (offline, ODL, online learning and hybrid learning modes).
The following are the main features of the new curriculum:
1. Flexibility to transfer from one field of study to another.
2. Possibility for students to choose the courses of their interest in all disciplines.
3. Facilitating multiple entry and exit options with a UG certificate/RUG diploma/or diploma, depending on the number of credits obtained.
4. Flexibility for students to move from one institution to another to enable them to learn multi- and/or interdisciplinary.
5. Flexibility to switch to alternative learning modes (offline, ODL and online learning, and hybrid learning modes).
Students are allowed to take breaks from their studies during their enrollment, but the maximum time allowed to complete the program is seven years.