After Kangana Ranaut said she would sue a leading magazine for nominating and inviting them to their awards ceremony, the magazine withdrew her nomination. Kangana was nominated for the Best Actress Awards for her film Thalaivii. In a new statement, the association also calls the actor’s accusations “false.” (Read also: ‘Pitted against mediocre work’: Kangana Ranaut is angry at Best Actress nomination with Vidya Balan and others)
In a lengthy statement, they said, “As is customary at the awards, Filmfare’s executive editor informed Ms. Ranaut of her nomination in the Best Actor in a Leading Role, Female category and asked for her address to forward the invitation.”
They also shared an excerpt from their message to Kangana, which read: “Hi Kangana, congratulations on your nomination to the Filmfare Awards. It will be a pleasure to have you there, please confirm your attendance at the awards ceremony on August 30 at the Jio World Convention Center in BKC, Mumbai. It will help us map out your places. PS Please send us your home address so we can send you the invitation. Greetings.” “There was no suggestion at any time that she was awarded an award or was requested to perform at the event,” the statement continued.
“This is a clearly false accusation from Ms. Ranaut. Our invitation to her was our effort to bring everyone together in a collective celebration of what brings this nation together, which is Indian cinema. Filmfare Awards are a celebration of cinematic excellence and are awarded regardless of whether a nominee attends or performs the function. Furthermore, Ms. Ranaut, a 5-time Filmfare Awardee, received the award twice in absentia (2014 and 2015). Despite the fact that she knew she would not attend or perform.”
They also withdrew her nomination. Given Ms. Ranaut’s irresponsible comments about Filmfare Awards, we are withdrawing her nomination for Best Actress for the movie Thalaivii. We reserve all rights to take legal action against her malicious and defamatory statements that tarnish our reputation and goodwill.”
Earlier in the day, Kangana said: “I have banned unethical, corrupt and totally unfair practices such as @filmfare since 2014, but since I get a lot of calls from them for attending their awards ceremony this year because they want to give me an award for Thalaivii. .. I am shocked to hear that they are still nominating me. It is beneath my dignity, work ethic and value system to encourage such corrupt practices in any way which is why I have decided to sue @filmfare… thanks.”
Commenting on the magazine’s statement, Kangana wrote: “@filmfare has finally withdrawn my actress nominations, thank you to everyone who has supported me in this fight against the corrupt system, but this doesn’t stop me from taking legal action against them.” take action… my effort is to end these unethical practices and stop such evil awards shows… see you in court @filmfare.”