The three units of the Indian army belonging to different infantry regiments thwarted the Chinese forces’ attempt to change the status quo at the Line of Actual Control or LAC near Yangtse in the Tawang sector of Arunachal Pradesh on Dec. 9, the news agency reported. ANI.
Earlier on Tuesday, Chinese troops, Defense Minister Rajnath Singh, attempted to overrun the LAC in Yangtse and unilaterally change the status quo along the disputed border.
Watch: Tawang Clash: Rajnath Singh Thanks Indian Army For Appropriate Response To China In Arunachal | Watch
Here are the key developments about the India-China troop battle at Arunachal LAC:
1. The troops of three different battalions including Jammu and Kashmir Rifles, Jat regiment and Sikh Light Infantry were present at the site of the clash last week as the Chinese tried to unilaterally change the status quo in the area, sources told ANI .
2. One of the Indian Army units was on its way out and was relieved by a new unit. However, the Chinese chose to clash on a day when both units were present in the area.
Watch: Reason behind China’s Tawang move
3. During the clash, the report added, the Chinese military had come along with drones, apparently to film the entire clash in which they expected to outnumber the Indian soldiers. The Chinese had come with more than 300 troops pelting stones in an attempt to attack the Indian position, but were beaten back harshly and forced to retreat to their side of the LAC, the sources added.
4. In a statement in Lok Sabha, Rajnath Singh said, “The Chinese effort was fought by our forces in a determined and determined manner. The ensuing confrontation led to a physical scuffle in which the Indian Army bravely prevented the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) from entering our territory and forced them to return to their posts.” The minister said the issue has been raised through diplomatic channels with the Chinese side.
5. China said the situation along its border with India was “generally stable”. Hours after the Chinese Foreign Ministry’s comments on the Sino-Indian border situation, Senior Colonel Long Shaohua, spokesman for the Western Theater Command of the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA), issued a statement claiming that the December 9 clash took place when his troops on regular patrol on the Chinese side of the Line of Actual Control (LAC) were blocked by Indian soldiers.
6. Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin, who addressed a media briefing here, said the two sides have been communicating smoothly on border-related issues through diplomatic and military channels.
7. Prime Minister Pema Khandu claimed that Indian soldiers are capable of giving an “appropriate response” to any external aggression. He also insisted that “it’s not 1962 anymore”, referring to the Chinese invasion of India that year. “Yangtse comes under my constituency (Mukto) and every year I meet the army jawans and villagers of the area,” Khandu tweeted. “It’s not 1962 anymore. If anyone tries to commit an offense, our brave soldiers will give an appropriate response,” he added.
8. Congress MPs and other opposition parties staged a strike by the Rajya Sabha on Tuesday after they were denied permission to seek clarification on Rajnath Singh’s statement on the clash between Indian and Chinese troops in Arunachal Pradesh. Members of the CPI, CPI-M, Shiv Sena, RJD, SP and the JMM joined congressmen in organizing a strike from the House.
9. Union Home Minister Amit Shah claimed that no one can seize an inch of land until Narendra Modi’s government is in power.
10. The Indian Air Force (IAF) scrambled fighter jets last week following China’s increasing air activity on its side of the LAC, PTI news agency reported. The deployment of some aerial platforms, including drones, by China in the region preceded Chinese efforts to unilaterally change the status quo in the area.
(With input from agencies)